View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Ranger Names 
Post Ranger Names
Since Kaelln is just an old online name, I was wondering how I might pick a good Ranger name, and I came across this:

"In an introduction to Elvish by Jim Allan it says the following: In the names of the royal houses of Nûmenor, Arnor, and Gondor, there is a repetition of themes, and some repetition of names. Only a few examples show of systematic variation In the nothern line the is Celebrindor son of Celepharn. <snip> To summarize, it would seem that the Elvish names used by the Dúnedain resemble those of German nomenclature in being composed of two themes, and these themes could be combined into different names. But the German practise of a regular varation on the same themes within a family was only occasionally followed by the royal lines of the north and of Gondor, and by the house of Stewards. Alliteration of names within a family was not followed either. Names were sometimes picked for a reason, as Hyarmendacil "South-victor", Rómendacil "East-victor', Elessar Telcontar 'Elf-stone Strider': but these are all names taken by kings after the have ascended the trone. Arvedui 'Last-King' is a name bestowed because of the prophecy that he shall be the last King of Arnor. The names of the Stewards and, we are told, of other men and women of the Dúnedain were 'oftebn the names of Elves and Men remembered in the songs and histories of the First Age (as Beren, Húrin) '(III, 406n)"

And also this:

"Most of the Dunedain would use Sindarin names (like Arathorn, Aragorn etc), and they would have a 'theme' running through the family, (same example). So you would have similar sounds and elements in the names of children and parents."

So, looking for Sindarin names, I came across this:

http://elffetish.com/SindaFrame1.php

It has a list of words that you can find a Sindarin prefix or suffix for, and will even combine the two for you in a way that makes sense in Sindarin. The only problem is that the list of words is limited.

I also found this:

http://www.jrrvf.com/cgi-bin/hisweloke/sintrans.cgi

It's a Sindarin dictionary with more words than the name generator. You can either pick words from a list, or you can search for the Sindarin to English or English to Sindarin words you choose. It won't combine the words for you, though.

Here are some possibilities I've come up with so far:

Glastalion: glas-TAL-ion - "joy hero", which is as close as I can come to translating my Muggle name "Edward"

Celebrusc: ke-LEB-rusk - "silver fox", which is something I get called at work. (Really. I didn't even pay them to do it! 8) ) Since "fox" was not in the name generator, I am unsure if this one is constructed correctly. Perhaps someone more learned than I could take a look at it?

Do Rangers ever have two names? All I've ever heard is the "so-and-so" son of "so-and-so" formula, but I kind of like the sound of "Celebrusc Glastalion". But to follow the lead of Aragorn, it would need to be something like "Celebrusc son of Celeb***". What do you think, my learned colleagues?

Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:46 pm
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post Re: Ranger Names
I think you're very much on the right track!

As for whether Ranger ever had two names, we'll ignore Aragorn for the moment--the man seemed to collect names like other people collect postage stamps. Halbarad, however, when he encountered Theoden's guard in Rohan, introduced himself as "Habarad Dunedan (Man of the West)," if I remember correctly. Aragorn also went by "the Dunedan" in Rivendell, so I think all Rangers might introduce themselves so to non-Rangers, as sort of a ethnic apellation, when they wanted to leave off the "son of."

But as for a more personal second name, I think they were rare, and achieved more like titles. I imagine Rangers would have similar habits to the Dwarves in this regard: Gimli was introduced as "son of Gloin," but Thorin was known as "Thorin Oakenshield," because of something famous he did in the wars between the dwarves and the orcs. Gandalf, too, was at times "given" a new name--I remember when Wormtongue named him Lathspell (Ill-news). So a second name might be given to you by someone else, either for something awesome you did or for some character trait of yours, almost like a more formal version of a nickname.

So if you want your Ranger persona to have a second name, I say go for it, but be sure to make some backstory as to why he has that second name.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
thangailhir

Well said, Chris. I suppose that Rangers would have a "Common" name, such as Strider, and then their true name, such as Aragorn. Of course, Aragorn was incognito for most of the time, as Sauron would have surely loved to have killed the Heir of Isildur. The Common name could also be like a troop name, so that if said in the heat of battle it would be easier to call out. It is permissible to mix Sindarin and Quenya as well. We have tried to keep our names similar here at the Ranger station. My name, Mirimaran, was formed from trying to find an equivalent from my online nic "freerangecelt", which I have used on other lists for the past 10 years. Using "Mirima" (free) and "ran" (wander) I think it works nicely. When my step-daughter came to live with us, we used "Miri" (jewel) "hend" (eye) "iel" (daughter) Mirihendiel, "jewel-eyed daughter", as she has bright blue eyes. Silver fox sounds like a good Ranger name, but I would think the true name would be something much more personal.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Talkative Watcher over Restless Lands

I like where Chris went with the regional association. I am one of the Dunedain in culture and by blood, so I am So-and-so the Dunadan, or "of the Dunadan". I feel that this, historically, anyway, fits in well. For example, on might have introduced themself as "Robin of Locksley" *chuckles* because of their hometown, home cantref, or region that they were born bred and raised in. Outside Tolkien's world, I've never heard too many references to parents as compared to regional references used as names or otherwise indications of which John you are...get the idea?

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 pm
Profile YIM
thangailhir

Agreed, but I don't see any Ranger using the "Dunedan" in towns like Bree. To the Breefolk, they were outsiders and therefore, not to be trusted. I would even think that a Hob or Knob would scratch their noggins at the name:

"'Doo-de-wha'?", asked Hob as the tall Ranger walked past him. Knob finished shoving out the stable and said, "Who cares? He's one of them Rangers, they got no right names no how, at least names that make sense like Master Butterbur."

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Hisweloke (your second link) is a good place to start. I've been pretty interested in linguistics (fantasy or otherwise), but when I choose a name, I usually change it at some point. I guess my tastes in phonetics change. Ardalambion (http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/) is also a good site. Also, for a good laugh, check out Chris Wetherell's Hobbit/Elf Name Generator.

Although, going by my common name (which means 'beloved' in Hebrew), my Elvish name would be either Mellanu, Melldir, or Mellbenn. As for a nickname or earned name...we'll see. Haven't really gotten one yet.

You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Thanks everyone! This has actually been quite helpful. I could see, for example, doting parents naming a child "joy hero" because that's what they wished for him, whereas "Silver Fox" might be an appelation earned late in life when the hair is silver and the Ranger has earned a reputation for craftiness and cunning. I can see that a story will have to be written eventually! Mirimaran seems to have a gift for this kind of naming; both his and his step-daughter's names are quite lovely.

Actually, names referring to the parent was quite common in the ancient Germanic and Scandinavian lands, and the Celtic lands as well. Many of those names have come down to us intact, in fact. Names like "Anderson" actually mean "Son of Anders". So, in those times, Carl Anderson would have literally been Carl, son of Anders, and Carl's daughter Brunhild would be called Brunhild Carlsdottir. Thorsson would have been the "son of Thor", etc. and there are lots of other examples. In the Celtic world, all the famous "O's" and "mac's" follow the same rule. Conan O'Brian, for example, for example would have literally been Conan, the son of Brian. Mac follows exactly the same rule, for example MacDonald would have been the son of Donald, and in Wales, the prefix Map, or sometimes Ap, if I remember correctly, was used. At some point, these names became "fixed" family names, but they were not always so. Tolkien was aware of this, of course, and used both Germanic and Celtic cultural material freely. For example Tolkien's runes are for the most part just copies of Germanic runes, although he changed the sounds associated with them around for his own purposes. As another example of this cultural "mining", the name "Gandalf" comes from a list of dwarves in one of the Icelandic Eddas of Snorri Sturluson. (Gandalf is a Germanic name, not Sindarin or Quenya, and means Wand Elf.) For me, this is one of the things that makes reading Tolkien such a rich experience.

Anyway, to get back to my name, I guess "Fox" would be a good common name, like "Strider". Silver Fox seems a little long to be useful, not be mention big-headed!

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 am
thangailhir

I can see how Fox could evolve to Silver Fox. Considering how few of the Rangers made it to old age, for them well over a hundred years or more, it would be a sign of respect. Plus, perhaps then your son would be know as the Fox. We could just call you Charlie Rich 8) Please do not set any awards on fire 8)

Thanks for the compliment! I always thought that Mirihendiel's name was as beautiful as she is. There's a poem on the site somewhere about her. My wife's name is Morielda, and has a similar theme, it means "dark elf" and is a translation of dubh sidh, "dark faerie". Most people call her Dubh :)

Let us know what you settle on! And what goes on behind closed doors 8)

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ok, I've decided! Merenthalion will be my given name (joyous or festive hero) son of Merenfaron (joyous hunter). I am known as Coruven (cunning man) among the elves, until an event that happens late in life during an orc raid, when the elves name me Celebrusc (Silver Fox). Among the Bree folk and in the Shire, I am called Fox.

I have to write that story about the orc raid now, don't I! Aaagh! No time! No time! :lol:

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:12 pm

If I translate my non-ranger name into Sindarin it comes out as Eruantion (pronounced Air-oo-ahnt-ee-on) I used this for one of my characters that I created for Lord of the Rings Online while I was playing it. Not sure what I'd go by as my "everyday" name.

The North would have known them little but for us.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Faolan wrote:
If I translate my non-ranger name into Sindarin it comes out as Eruantion (pronounced Air-oo-ahnt-ee-on) I used this for one of my characters that I created for Lord of the Rings Online while I was playing it. Not sure what I'd go by as my "everyday" name.

That name in quite beautiful! Can you translate it for us? Desert gift's son? (Probably way off!)

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:20 pm
thangailhir

So, Kaelin, amongst your fellows here, what name would you use? Merenthalion?

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hmmm. Merenthalion, if you're feeling formal, but just plain "Fox" is good enough among friends, as "Strider" was good enough for King Elessar among the Hobbits.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 pm

kaelln wrote:
Faolan wrote:

That name in quite beautiful! Can you translate it for us? Desert gift's son? (Probably way off!)

Very close!

It translates out to "God is Giving" from Hebrew. My parents wanted to name me after the grandparents (I would have been John Glenn Stitt). But since I was born 2 days before the astronaut went into space they did not want people to think I was named after him, so I ended up as Jonathan Glenn. I've always had an interest in wolves which is where my user name Faolan comes from, it is Gaelic for wolf, and I'm getting to be a bit of a gray wolf now. :lol:

Faolan

The North would have known them little but for us.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Faolan wrote:
Very close!

It translates out to "God is Giving" from Hebrew. My parents wanted to name me after the grandparents (I would have been John Glenn Stitt). But since I was born 2 days before the astronaut went into space they did not want people to think I was named after him, so I ended up as Jonathan Glenn. I've always had an interest in wolves which is where my user name Faolan comes from, it is Gaelic for wolf, and I'm getting to be a bit of a gray wolf now. :lol:

Faolan

Ah! At least I was close on the "gift" part!

Faolan wrote:

Well, not to be too obvious, but what about... "Wolf"! 8)

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next