new Beorning's breechclout

Who are these strangers camped in the town square? Rohirrim, hobbits, Goblin-men? Ranger's aren't the only Middle Earth Re-enactors out there.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Amrod Rhandir

new Beorning's breechclout

Postby Udwin » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:13 pm

My 'other' period has been drawing most of my time and energy lately, but I still always have a few Middle-earth projects on the backburner. I've been on Spring Break since Friday, so I finally have time to get a few wrapped up. This time it's a revamped fancy loincloth for Aistan.
Fabric is 100% wool (body and edging), linen topstitching, with mountains (split stitch) and trees (laid stitch) of Wilderland done in embroidery floss. I experimented doing the mountains in a chain stitch, but it looked entirely too modern and quilt-y for my rustic tastes.
I've had the body strip kicking around for years, but it wasn't until I realized that the herringbone tweed would perfectly complement my geometric Beorning motifs that I decided how to use it. The mountain design is meant to mirror those painted on my otzi-style beltpouch and my hide shirt--because extra kit cohesion always helps!
Unlike my earlier breechclouts, the embroidery was worked on the edge panels before attaching to the body, so the backs of the stitches aren't visible on the back. Looking forward to getting many years of use out of it.
Attachments
clout_newMERF.jpg
clout_newMERF.jpg (243.45 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Boffin, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: new Beorning's breechclout

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:02 am

Love it. Looks fantastic.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Postby Elleth » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Oh that's lovely! I do like the echo of the mountain motif - would you say the whole shebang is about together now? Or are you still reworking pieces?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Postby Iodo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm

That embroidery is amazing
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.

Return to “The Town Square”