Home made forge question

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Home made forge question

Postby Iodo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:43 am

Kortoso wrote:One thing that slows a lot of would-be smiths, is the assumption that the anvil needs to be a huge block of iron or steel.
The Vikings often made do with something little more than a iron spike driven into a heavy stump.

No need to worry :P my anvill (for now) is just a heavy piece of scrap steel on a few foundation blocks, I'll post pics later
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Iodo

Postby Iodo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:47 am

Yesterday I tested the forge, finally! The full setup looks like this:

It's fueled with hardwood charcoal and I'm pleased to report that my strange layout of pipework didn't cause any problems, intact it seemed to work perfectly.
As promised heres some photos of the anvil:

The anvil has a second plate that fits over the top to protect my flat serface from cuting and punching. It also has a work holding chain which allows me to do activities that would normally need three hands. The only thing that didn't work to well was the stand. The top block ended up cracking with repeated impact so I need to rethink that (i'll possibly mount the anvill on a piece of hard wood first)

Here's some pictures of it working:

It didn't quite get as hot as I would have liked, I think the next thing I'll be trying is an electric blower and using ether coal or coke. And I've got to learnhow to use it, so far I haven't really made anything due to not really knowing what I'm doing.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Postby Greg » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Try talking to a local tree service, and see if you can get your hands on a log. Anything recently cut from a live tree would do the trick. Ask for something that’s as tall as from the ground to your knuckles in a closed fist at your side (minus the height of your anvil). It’ll be a much more comfortable working position, and you can always nail that chain to the stump.

Looks pretty cool, though! Looking forward to seeing this skill progress.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo

Postby Iodo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Greg wrote:Try talking to a local tree service, and see if you can get your hands on a log. Anything recently cut from a live tree would do the trick. Ask for something that’s as tall as from the ground to your knuckles in a closed fist at your side (minus the height of your anvil). It’ll be a much more comfortable working position, and you can always nail that chain to the stump.

Looks pretty cool, though! Looking forward to seeing this skill progress.

That sounds like a great idea, I think I'll do that, thanks Greg :P

Return to “Crafts & Skills”