Looking for some boot options

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Looking for some boot options

Postby Manveruon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm

I love the gaiters you came up with! Very practical, and also inconspicuous! It would probably be fairly easy to make something similar in leather as well, if you wanted something a bit more rugged and hard-wearing.

Also, if you're interested, here is a build-along thread I did a while back for my own ranger boots! I started with a pair of 13th Century low boots from Viking Leathercrafts, and then added a taller leg shaft. I would do a few things differently were I to remake them (which I'm considering doing soon), but overall they have served me quite well over the last 5 or so years!
https://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vi ... =25&t=2480

I'm very curious to know more about those Tilly Jackboots as well! I looked them up and they seem to be quite nice overall - but I really wish I could see more pictures of them, particularly with someone actually wearing them out and about. I especially like that they seem to have a round toe, as I have never been especially fond of the classic pointed medieval toe design on most historical reproduction boots.
Ghostsoldier
Dúnadan

Postby Ghostsoldier » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:33 am

Thanks! I hadn't actually thought about making them out of leather, because they were going to be a stop-gap measure until I purchased boots...but honestly, since they seem to be so practical in actual use, I might just decide to make a leather set to use indefinitely; doing so would make their storage so much simpler, and I could still wear my comfy tactical boots underneath.

You're boot tutorial is awesome; I hadn't thought about actually modifying an existing pair of low boots or shoes...I can see how it would work! Like yourself, I'm not really fond of the pointed medieval toe, preferring a square (not historically accurate, I'm sure) or rounded toe. I hope you decide to make a new pair, and we can follow along with your build.

These purport to be Tilly jackboots actually being worn, although I can't swear to it:

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Iodo
Haeropada

Postby Iodo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:02 am

Those boot toppers look nice :P

I've been using boot toppers/gaiters made from leather since before I joined the forum and I have to agree that it's a practical, if not accurate, solution, it's surprising how much warmth it adds
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ghostsoldier
Dúnadan

Postby Ghostsoldier » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Well, thanks to Ken's link on the FB group about the holiday sales, I pulled the trigger on a pair of the Tilly jackboots (and a pair of lace-on sleeves for my Garen jerkin); using the 20-percent off coupon from Dark Knight Armory, I was able to save about 32 bucks right off the top.

I'll post up some pics when they finally arrive. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."

Return to “Soft Kit”